Laptop from USA

Kernal1873 16:44 18 Sep 05

Hi there,

I am shortly visiting the US on business and i was wondering if i was to by a laptop over there if there would be any difficulty using it in this country with a voltage converter.

Also would import charges would i be subject to in the UK upon my return.

Cheers.

Taff36 16:49 18 Sep 05

Shouldn`t be any problem with a voltage converter. Friend of mine brought one back from the states earlier in the year and seems to run it OK from a simple shaver plug. Check it out when you`re there. And the answer to your last question is - no he didn`t declare it. How are customs supposed to know where you bought it and when?

amonra 16:50 18 Sep 05

No probs normally with the power supply. The unit normally goes from 100v to 250v without any adjustment. The only thing you may have to do is chop off the US plug and fit a 13amp.
The BIG drawback is support ! Can be a bit dodgy if you have to return it to the States for repair. Custms +Excise have been known to be a bit ??? If you regularly travel to the States, no problems, Good luck.

Taff36 17:06 18 Sep 05

The one my friend brought back was a Toshiba and it had a 2 year global warranty. I recently supplied an Asus to a friend who is going to the states on holiday (again) and that had a similar global warranty. If I remember rightly the prices in the states are about the same in dollars as sterling. Fortunately the exchange rates aren`t!!

wee eddie 17:17 18 Sep 05

It's easy to change what the keys display on screen but not what is printed on the key itself.

Warranty problems - May need to be returned to retailer, even though it says Global.

VAT will probably be levied as there is an upper limit of about £125.00. There may be other Taxes you are liable for.

spuds 19:06 18 Sep 05

Regarding the Customs and UK charges, be very cautious about this, custom and excise officers are not fools when it comes to the travelling public. Regarding Taff36 remark about how the customs are suppose to know, this is very easy-They ask you for receipts,which they then check with the product information that they hold.That is how they calculate any duties payable.

Another point to think about is grey imports, and the manufacturer may get a little concerned if you try to make a warranty claim, even though you may assume that you have global cover.Always double check, before you go ahead with that bargain purchase, it may not turn out to be one in the end.

Simsy 20:37 18 Sep 05

is the DVD region coding.

I don't know if it applies to laptop DVD players, but you might be restricted as to the number of times you can play european dvds on it.

Apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…