laptop upgrade query

d4rmsc 20:12 04 Aug 09

Hi, I have a medion MIM2040
spec: Intel Pentium M processor 1.70GHz
512 Ram

It is a few years old now and getting slower. I would like it to be quick. Which is the best and cheapest way to go about this? i.e. upgrade the Ram or harddrive or what?

Thanks

GaT7 20:33 04 Aug 09

Well, it can take a max of 2Gb RAM (click here), so if it has a slot free it may be worth increasing by 1Gb. eBuyer seems to be the cheapest atm for DDR laptop RAM click here (choose Super Saver delivery option at checkout).

Another thing that's definitely recommended is an OS reinstall, or at the very least a thorough clean-up - many pointers in this similar thread click here. G

citadel 20:35 04 Aug 09

ram is the easiest, install as much as you can. manual will tell you the limit.

GaT7 20:40 04 Aug 09

Well citadel, I agree, but is it really wise to be spending £50+ on RAM upgrading an old laptop. G

woodchip 20:54 04 Aug 09

I have a Medion Laptop about four years old The best upgrade that worked for me is put a faster Hard Drive in it, Use the old one for backup. But you will also need a USB caddy to fit the new drive into to clone the old drive to
PS the Drive will be a Hitachi 4200rpm I fitted a 7200rpm As when I got the Laptop the hard drive was working none stop all the time

Fitting the new Drive stopped all that.

this should do it click here

If you check google you will find it hard to get a Hitachi 7200rpm Laptop drive. you can get a bigger drive but they come at 5400rpm

I uped mine from a 30Gb to a 60Gb at 7200

GaT7 21:04 04 Aug 09

I wouldn't recommend buying anything until you can at least reinstall the OS afresh.

Also would be worth knowing if you've a RAM slot free. If it's not satisfactory after the reinstall, even a 512Mb increase in RAM could make a significant enough difference for the lowest outlay - £13 for this click here. G

d4rmsc 21:07 04 Aug 09

Hi, thanks for the quick replies. How do I go about replacing the harddrive and how do I do the cloning process?

woodchip 21:17 04 Aug 09

You can use XXCLONE click here
Print the page of to use it. I used Acronis and made Images of the Partitions, As I know you have three Partitions. This what you need to fit the hard drive in to Clone the image to its a USB case click here

Its the same one I used

woodchip 21:19 04 Aug 09

Cheaper and not Ebay click here

I don't know what post is on it

woodchip 21:26 04 Aug 09

PS when you take the drive out of the Laptop, right side on mine two screws to remove it should be held in to a bracket that you need to fit on the other drive before trying to fit it

woodchip 21:28 04 Aug 09

PS just for your info, I think you will find that the laptop is made by Mitac Computers for Medion

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…