Laptop Upgrade!

colind4 23:20 18 Jun 09

Hi,

I posted up here I think it was a year ago about upgrading my RAM and HDD for my Acer Ferrari 3200!

Well I finally went ahead and did it and now is where the problem arises.

I don't know whats wrong anymore. I upgraded it to the max, which is 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD @ 5400rpm.

After I install XP, it works fine for like 2 days and then all the problems start after I start installing programs. I keep getting blue screens, explorer keeps crashing and then finally after I restart it keeps restarting over and over by itself. Now, I am not aware what the problem is. Although, I have a feeling it is the RAM incompatibility. The RAM i got was TwinMOS PC 3200 1 GB SO-DIMM/CL3. I kept checking on the websites and it said the Bus clock is 400MHZ.
I have no clue whats the max for my laptop.

any advise would be appreciated.

THANKS

Ashrich 23:28 18 Jun 09

Try taking one of the sticks of memory out and see if the problem is still there , if not , just to confirm take the remaining stick out and put the other in , if the problem occurs them the stick in the PC at the time may be faulty , if there is no problem with the laptop with one stick but there is with two then it could an incompatibility .

Ashley

phono 23:31 18 Jun 09

Is the RAM seated properly? Have you tried testing the RAM?

A good test is Memtest86 from click here download the CD ISO or floppy creation program, create the relevant disk, boot from it and let it run at least one complete pass of tests on RAM.

Also try starting the laptop in safe mode, see if it behaves normally or do the blue screens still happen.

woodchip 23:50 18 Jun 09

Try with the old ram. back in

phono 00:03 19 Jun 09

"Try with the old ram. back in"

Good suggestion. ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…