Laptop to tv connection

husker 20:34 09 Feb 09

Hi there,

I have a new laptop with VGA and HDMI out but an old telly (CRT) with only 4-pin S video in and the red/yellow/white in (female sockets). There is also what looks like a headphone in socket.

I have seen VGA to s-video connector which also has the red/yellow/white plugs, but they are female like the telly.

Is there anyway I can connect?

Please any help would be appreciated.

ambra4 11:22 10 Feb 09

You need a VGA adapter plus a Single Video Cable to connect the laptop to the CRT TV

VGA to TV Converter S-Video RCA Out Cable Adapter

click here

Premium Single Video Cable Type

click here

Using the Single Video Cable connect the yellow connector on the VGA adapter to the

yellow video input on the TV

If you want to use the S-Video output on the VGA adapter you would need a S-Video Cable /

SVHS Cable

S-Video Cable / SVHS Cable

click here

For the audio from the laptop you would need to use the following cable from the headphone

jack to the audio input on the TV

Gold 3.5mm Jack to 2x RCA Phono Cable 1.2M

click here

Once you have connected the cable from the VGA adapter to the RCA / S-Video socket on the

TV you have to change the input source on the TV to Video1 using the TV remote control

Make sure that all the cable is the about the same length to connect the laptop to the TV

You now have to set up the laptop to access the VGA external display on the laptop

Using the “FN” key (Function) and the “CRT/LCD” key look at the top of keyboard “F” keys

Hold down the FN key and press the CRT/LCD key once

Display will change as follows: -

Press once laptop display only

Press again external display only

Press again both laptop and external display

You must hold down the FN key each time you press the CRT/LCD key

You have to set the laptop to show both laptop and external displays, if set to external

display only, the display will default back to the laptop display every time you power on

or reboot the laptop

Depending on the size of the TV you will have to adjust the screen resolution for the

display to fit the screen

Right click on the Desktop-Properties-Setting and change the screen resolution to the

correct size to fit the TV screen

Hope this help to get your laptop connected to the TV

husker 14:05 10 Feb 09

Thank you so much for such a helpful reply! I can see now how all the pieces will fit together, key is the Single Video Cable to connect the 2 yellow female plugs.

I've got most of these leads at home already, I just need the VGA adaptor. Once I get this I'll fit it all together and let you know how I get on.

Thank you again for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…