Laptop Trouble shutting down

swanny2 10:48 07 Feb 06

hi there.
any 1 help plz. my father has a advent 6418 laptop,problem is every now an again it just shuts down for no reason ..he has just bought a new power lead cost him £50 tut . but that has made no difference.He can be on it for say 20mins or longer an it just goes off. hes like me a novice an really frustrated .
Any idea any1 plz.
thanks
Swanny :O)

Diodorus Siculus 11:03 07 Feb 06

Could be over heating.

At the back / bottom are some outlets for air circulation and fans - check that they are not blocked.

Do you hear the fan running?

Some compressed air is helpful to blow out any acccumulated debris.

anchor 13:47 07 Feb 06

I agree with Diodorus Siculus that overheating is the probable cause. I had a similar problem with my 4 year old Toshiba laptop.

About 18 months ago I bought a USB notebook cooling pad from Maplins for £20, and not had a problem since, even in the hottest weather.

Obviously make the other checks suggested by Diodorus Siculus.

click here

swanny2 12:07 10 Feb 06

cheers . is it not safe too have the laptop flat on a table then ?or does he need too sit it on something so the air can circulate.?
hes bought a new mains lead,an it seems ok upto now.. thanks a lot anyway all.
cheers .
Swanny :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…