Laptop touchpad settings disappeared

TimCDC 15:51 18 Apr 04

The touchpad, track stick and select buttons on my laptop have stopped working, although I can still use a mouse plugged into the usb port. When I go to mouse properties, the tab that should say, "Device Select" has disappeared - so I can't re-enable them. Any ideas out there?

TimCDC 16:36 18 Apr 04

I've managed to sort the problem, by going back to an old restore point, when the track pad was working, and the "device select" tab was still in the mouse properties window. Then I undid that restoration, and the track pad continues to work, along with the device select tab remaining. But I'm wondering why this happened in the first place, and how.

I had installed Media Player 9 and real player free version, along with some fiddling that the office IT guys had apparently done to the network connectin - presumably these somehow clashed with the settings. But what I don't understand is how going back to an old restore point, and then undoing that restoration, effectively changes the settings - kind of implies that undoing a restoration doesn't quite undo all the settings?

At one level, I'm pleased to no longer have the problem - but would still like to know why the solution worked!

TimCDC 17:48 19 Apr 04

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else came across anything similar. I rang the Dell support line (the guy on the end was really helpful and not at all patronising) and after a bit of fiddling around it appears that it may have simply been a clash between my external mouse and the stick & track pad. When I plug the mouse in with the laptop already running, the mouse works, but somehow seems to disable the trackstick (and its options on the mouse properties window). I just need to only plug in before I turn on the laptop. Simple....and explains why the restore operation worked and then didn't ..... must have depended on when I plugged in the mouse!

Diodorus Siculus 17:59 19 Apr 04

Bookmarked - thanks for the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…