Laptop and Tea

aitch2 19:35 06 Mar 11

My daughter has inadvertently spilt a small amount of 'Tea' over the keyboard of her Acer Laptop. It appears that the Laptop is working ok so that all programs/hard drive and OS have not been affected.
However, most of the keys are ok, but some of the other keys are not functioning correctly. eg:Enter/ directional arrow keys/ equal +/ insert. etc do not respond to their actual input and therefore give a wrong symbol or character.
Is there any thing that can be done to vercome this problem bearing in mind that she is in Madrid and I'm at home in UK? I don't suppose this would be covered under warranty terms, would it, as the laptop is only 6 months old? By coincidence I do go out to Madrid for her birthday next wednesday so I hope to have a solution for her.
Any help or info much appreciated.
Thanks, Aitch

woody 20:34 06 Mar 11

Does her home insur cover such damage?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:52 06 Mar 11

Try cleaning it click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 06 Mar 11

Replace it click here

robin_x 20:54 06 Mar 11

Anything sugary is worse. It may take days to dry. Keep in a warm place eg airing cupboard. Not on a radiator.

She could remove the keyboard if she knows how.
(consult mfr's website or Google for a Maintenance Service Guide .pdf

When keyboard is out it can be rinsed under cold water tap. But that will definitely take a week or so to dry out.

Could try a can of compressed air to blow tea droplets around (keyboard removed from laptop)

Don't worry about the hard drive, it is sealed.

Do worry about CD/DVD drive. They don't like liquids either. Probably a single screw holds that in and it can be slid out.

In meantime, she could buy a cheap USB or PS/2 keyboard (check laptop has a PS/2 connector first, new ones may not)

woodchip 21:09 06 Mar 11

Sugar is the problem as it acts like glue, only way is to try gently pry the key's off that do not work and wash in clear water, also use damp cloth under them

aitch2 15:33 07 Mar 11

Sorry for the delay in replying, but thanks for all the suggestions. I'l systematically work through them to see if it can be sorted. I think it might be covered on the 'House Insurance' but that's another avenue for me to check through.
Rgds
Aitch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…