Laptop switches itself off

gerardharraghy 19:40 05 Sep 05

I bought a laptop (with an AMD 64 3700+ processor) off Tiny about 6 months back. After about 2 / 3 months it started switching itself off during certain tasks (ie, when running a virus scan, ripping a cd or playing a computer game). When I try to boot up again immediately after, it usually just switches itself off again just before the Windows XP logo should be displayed.

I recently tried using the system restore CD i got with the computer and while it has improved slightly, it still turns itself off eventually.

I was just wondering if there's anybody that could suggest anything that could be causing it and what I could do to fix it. I had purchased 3 years insurance with it but I think it's now worthless following what's happened with Tiny.

Thanks, Gerard

Totally-braindead 19:44 05 Sep 05

If you bought it with a credit card you may be able to claim the money back from your credit card company if someone can't help with a solution to the problem. In the meantime the first thing I can think of is check the power settings in Control Panel and see if its meant to switch itself off, perhaps its a setting to preserve battery life.

woodchip 19:45 05 Sep 05

My Guess is Heat, You could try one of those laptop coolers at about a £10 from Computer fair.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…