Laptop switched itself off and won't come back on

guyshahar 16:54 26 Sep 10

Hi

My 4-year old Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop just turned itself off in the middle of general working and listening to music. It was working fine and then suddenly there was a quiet click and the power was lost (though the battery was full and the machine was plugged in).

Now, when I press the power button, nothing at all happens.

Is there any way to save this computer? Does this sound like a virus? I thought it was at first, but there was no warning or blue-screen of death.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

woodchip 17:16 26 Sep 10

First no cost thing to try, is Remove the Hard Drive and refit it, with the Power off and Battery Removed. Also try booting without the Hard Drive fitted you should get a black DOS like screen

guyshahar 18:08 26 Sep 10

Sadly makes no difference. Even without the HDD, nothing at all happens when I press the power button

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 26 Sep 10

1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply
6. leave the battery off
7. retry to boot

guyshahar 18:33 26 Sep 10

Thanks, Fruitbat

Unfortunately, it made no difference, and still nothing happens when I press the power button.

woodchip 18:47 26 Sep 10

It's a Gona

guyshahar 18:59 26 Sep 10

Is it likely that this was caused by a virus? Hopefully not - I don't think this sudden death of the hardware can come from a virus. Am I wrong?

I ask because I would like to extract the contents of the hard-drive if possible. But would not like to risk a virus in the new machine.....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:38 26 Sep 10

Not virus,
Click is more like thermal overload in your power supply (on board) going out.

If your really lucky it may switch on tomorrow after a long time left disconnected.

However buy a caddy and connect to your other machine by USB (check hard drive connection type SATA or IDE before purchasing caddy.)

guyshahar 19:49 26 Sep 10

Thanks. Actually, SOMETHING does happen when I press the power button - the battery indicator light flashes - either red when the battery is not connected, or red and then green when it is. Could that indicate anything?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5