Laptop suggestions for University

MartinSA 19:58 PM 13 Aug 12

Hi there,

Looking at buying a laptop for uni (not sure if studying computer science makes much of a difference) and I'm a bit stuck between two! I've got around a £500 budget and I'm gonna be using it for general MS Office work, programming and a reasonable amount of gaming (games such as League of Legends, CS: Global Offensive, BF3 and generally mid-spec requiring games).

These are the two I'm looking at:

I guess the question is, would a quad core or dual core be better? And could anyone give me an explanation as to why as I'd like to learn :). Any advice or links to better laptops would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

Nontek 20:30 PM 13 Aug 12

I have not looked at your links, but would advise that the i5 CPU is the better of the two, having IMHO a bit more grunt - or even better if you could afford to go for a i7 CPU.

MartinSA 21:08 PM 13 Aug 12

Thanks. Found this one:

Its a quad instead of dual and i7 like you suggested, but its only got 6GB of RAM instead of 8. Does it being a quad outweigh the loss of 2GB of RAM?

Nontek 21:49 PM 13 Aug 12

You probably would not notice any difference regarding 6Gb or 8Gb RAM.

MartinSA 02:07 AM 14 Aug 12

Thanks for the help, guess I'm gonna spend abit more for the i7 quad :)

Nontek 13:20 PM 14 Aug 12

OK - will be well worth the expenditure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…