Laptop sudenly not connecting to WLAN

adamross 11:33 19 Aug 09

I have a Netgear router at home and have had a network with 1 wired PC, 1 wireless laptop, and 1 wireless Xbox 360 hooked up and working perfectly since February. Now, for no apparent reason, the laptop keeps hanging at "acquiring IP address" and will not connect to the WLAN. I have tried bowering down and restarting the router and modem, restarting all systems on the network, using the "repair" function on the Windows XP network software, reacquiring the network, and swearing profusely at the laptop. Nothing seems to be working, although the last step made me feel a lot better.

Any advice?

adamross 11:38 19 Aug 09

Sorry, minor correction, the "Wireless Network Connection Status" hangs at "Acquiring Network Address" and then says I have limited or no connectivity. Bars are all green for the signal, Xbox 360 still works fine as well.

adamross 12:14 19 Aug 09

Okay, I fixed it. I went into the wireless info on the laptop and reentered the wep key, and also updated the firmware on the netgear. I'm not sure which of these things fixed the issue, but there you have it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…