Laptop - strange noises...

Ade_1 11:05 29 Aug 06

Hi,
Over the last couple of months my brothers laptop has been making odd noises, however when it makes these odd noises it doesnt work. I have tried repairing Windows numerous amount of times however the only way around it is to reinstall windows, obviously meaning he would lose his data. However, like I said it has been going on for a couple of months now and I am still unable to find out what the matter is with it.

The noises sound like the hard drive is trying to do something but is suttering, its NOT a screeching noise or anything like that... Its difficult to describe it if im honest.

If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appriciated.

O and when I say it doesnt work, what I mean is sometimes the task bar doesnt appear only the background, but sometimes the task bar appears and once you do anything it just effectivly freezes leaving you unable to do anything.

Thanks in advance

Aidan

Diodorus Siculus 12:16 29 Aug 06

As you say, a resinstall of windows will be a good start; you need to find a means of backing up the data on the machine. Do you have either a CD / DVD writer or a USB disk?

Remember to save emails, address books, favourites / bookmarks, and all files created, eg Office files, images, video and so on.

What sort of recovery media do you have?

Ade_1 14:06 29 Aug 06

Yes, I always have to reinstall windows which appears
to be the only way to solve the problem, however as you can imagine it can get rather frustrating having to do it every 2 weeks or so.

I use an external hard drive, I do regular backups. Although as expected there are bits of data which I will lose if I havnt done a backup for a couple of days or whatever.

Thanks

Aidan

DieSse 14:21 29 Aug 06

It may pay you to install some temperature monitoring software. Failing fans can give odd noises, and cause overheating and "funnies". Fans fail more often than hard drives.

Ade_1 15:01 29 Aug 06

Yes, however im not sure that it is the fans, as a reinstall of windows sorts it out and it works fine for a couple of weeks. Maybe it could be a file or something that keeps becoming corrupt... I just dont know.

Thanks

Aidan

DieSse 15:47 29 Aug 06

Fan stops or slows down - processor overheats, corrupts data on drive - re-install cures.

Is a perfectly feasible chain of events.

As is also hard drive plays up, corrupts data on drive - re-install cures.

You can checkout the drive with diagnostic software - you can also run RAM tests, and you can monitor the temperatures. One of these will probably give you a clue as to what's going wrong - you can't do that by deduction and guesswork alone.

Ade_1 16:22 29 Aug 06

Well, in the past the laptop has had numerous problems with overheating, although it hasnt been to bad of late.

Thanks for your advice, ill look into it.

Aidan

Ade_1 21:03 29 Aug 06

It has just come to me, the noises are like a clicking noise... If that is any help to anyone who can offer more help

Aidan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced