Laptop stopped working after not used for 4 weeks

Guady 15:51 14 Mar 08

I'm trying to help a friend who has a problem with her laptop - it won't come on! She has been away from home for 4 weeks or so, and on return, tried to switch on the laptop. On most occasions, nothing has happened at all - although on one occasion it apparently came on very briefly and then disappeared. It was working fine before her trip and we are both at a loss to understand why it is refusing to co-operate now. If anyone has any suggestions of what I might do to try to get it going, we'd be really grateful. I'm going to see her tomorrow afternoon, so anything before then would be really brilliant.
Many thanks

Clapton is God 16:01 14 Mar 08

Are you trying to fire it up on battery or mains?

If battery, it may be dead

woodchip 16:03 14 Mar 08

battery may be fasulty remove it and just use mains to start up with

woodchip 18:24 14 Mar 08

also try removing hard drive then refite it, at bottom or side of laptop under a plate

dhg 21:28 14 Mar 08

I had same problem with a laptop, worked o/k when off on hols returned after 2 months it flickered on then went dead, the motherboard had blown,

Guady 18:47 15 Mar 08

Thanks for all replies - Think the problem must have been Windows. Have used the Restore CDs and got Windows to work (except that each time it opens you have to say "Boot from hard drive" or similar! But the problem now is that - as everything has been "set back" - I can't get the internet connection to work. I get a message saying "New hardware found" and asking me to insert a CD of software. It seems to refer to the Wireless Connection but (having never set up a wireless connection) I am really in the dark. We found a CD which had the name of the ISP on it and tried that, but with no joy. It is difficult because my friend's husband set everything up and he died recently - so we are struggling. We are in Spain and the ISP is Ya.com - but any advice would be welcome, as I imagine that setting up a wireless connection must be similar for all ISPs. Any advice would be really appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac