laptop to stereo

sheba28 22:54 06 Dec 05

can i play music from my laptop through a stereo? using the headphone port, i have a cable that has those red and black things at the other end..

Tim1964 00:24 07 Dec 05

You'll need a cable that has 2 Phono connections (red and white (or black)) and a 3.5mm jack on the other. The 3.5mm jack plugs into the headphone socket of the laptop and the phono connectors go into the AUX IN (left and right) on the Stereo.

You can get 2x phono to mini headphone adapters but they cost the same as the proper lead, about £2.

sheba28 13:06 08 Dec 05

Do all stereos/hi fi systems have the right thing in the back to plug the cable in?

DieSse 15:43 08 Dec 05

*Do all stereos/hi fi systems have the right thing in the back to plug the cable in?*

No - some have no inputs of any kind.

Does yours have an input? If yes, what kind of socket(s) does it have?

Tim1964 09:54 09 Dec 05

sheba28,

If your stereo doesn't have any inputs a simple option may be to buy some mains powered 2.1 speakers and then the setup would be portable as well. (Portable as in from room to room, not as in wlk around with).

For e.g. click here=

They wont blow the windows out but they're enough for an average sized room.

sheba28 17:02 11 Dec 05

can i attach hi fi speakers (separates)to my laptop?

DieSse 17:36 11 Dec 05

Not unless they've got amplifiers inside them - the standard sound outputs from the laptop are unamplified.

DieSse 17:38 11 Dec 05

If you've got a *proper* hi-fi amplifier, it's almost certain to have the right kind of input - if you describe what you've got, you might get some more helpful advice.

ade.h 18:13 11 Dec 05

"I have a cable that has those red and black things at the other end"

So just plug that into a spare input of your choice, then select it from the front panel. There are inputs marked Aux, CD, Tuner, etc. Take your pick; they all work in the same way except any that are marked Phono (they are for decks).

If you don't have these inputs then you don't have seperates and quite possibly can't do what you want to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…