Laptop Startup Issues... argh!

Fateful Shadow 08:14 24 Nov 06

You'll have to excuse me on the details... I've been helping a colleauge out via e-mail so the details may be a bit sketchy.

Basically, he started up his laptop one day to get the message "C:\system32\hal.dll. file is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall a copy."

After searching around for a bit, I found a solution using the Recovery Console. This involved recreating all the files required for bootup.

However, this didn't work. So he ran checkdisk and got the message, "The volume appears to contain 1 or more unrecoverable errors."

Is there any way in which he can get his laptop back to it's normal working state without having to reinstall XP?

Thanks =]

gudgulf 08:55 24 Nov 06

"The volume appears to contain 1 or more unrecoverable errors."

This might be a sign of impending hard drive failure.

If you have a full Windows disc for the laptop your could try a repair installation of Windows.This will preserve all the installed programs and data on the drive.

click here

click here

If this works then back up all important data just in case and try CHKDSK again to see if it is still reporting errors.

Fateful Shadow 09:00 24 Nov 06

Thanks gudgulf. I will suggest this to him and see what happens.

=]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…