Laptop starts then stops then starts etc etc.

rod45 13:07 24 Aug 09

Hi everybody i have an acer laptop that has worked fine up until a couple of days ago, when i switch it on its starts, runs for a minute or so then gives an error message then shuts down and starts again with the error message. I can get into the BIOS, so i tried using the recovery discs, which all ran perfectly, then when they had finished and the pc started again it was no different.

The message i'm getting is as follows :

"we apologise for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect yur files or folders, choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you arent sure what caused the problem, choose start windows normally.

Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

Last known good configuration ( your most recent settings that worked )

Start windows normally"

Has anyone any idea what the problem is and if it can be fixed.

Thanks

Rod

woodchip 13:23 24 Aug 09

Although you said you run the Restore CD, Go to System Restore and check if there are any BOLD dates that precede the problem

woodchip 13:24 24 Aug 09

Sorry, You will have to do this in safe mode if it will start in it. Tapping F5 as computer starting

rod45 17:41 24 Aug 09

Ok I have managed to get it to start in safe mode but there are no bold dates that precede the problem.

woodchip 18:08 24 Aug 09

Then only thing you can try is do a Check Of the Hard Drive Double Click My Computer right click C:\Properties\Tools\Check Disk put a tick in the box to auto fix problems with the drive, reason is that if the drive as bad sectors and you run a restore disc CD it will try writing to all of disc, if it writes to bad sector these will not be readable after. So after check disk Rerun your Restore CD

rod45 18:55 24 Aug 09

It said i had to restart the computer to do the disk check, which i did, it said there were no problems with the disk, but it is still doing the same thing with the same message.

Stuartli 00:23 25 Aug 09

I wonder if this has anything to do with your problem?

click here

click here

woodchip 14:51 25 Aug 09

your second link was not quite right, Not your words theres as it happend other day on a Medion Laptop that My Daughter as on loan from me. it as a Celeron Desktop CPU, So AMD cannot be blamed for that. I had to do a Restore with Medion Disc then found a TI Image I made after the last Updates I loaded before she started using the laptop. After Restoring the TI Image then going through the Update once again SP3 then let it settle down then I only loaded half of the updates out of 48, Restarted and then loaded other half. been no trouble since doing it that way

woodchip 14:52 25 Aug 09

Suggestion Set BIOS to Default settings and see how it goes

rod45 19:55 25 Aug 09

It has an intel processor, how do i set the BIOS to default

woodchip 20:15 25 Aug 09

Go into BIOS page, tab through and you should see the defaults do not forget to save before exit.

On most you tap Del Key when its starting. But for Acer Laptop no Idea as my HP goes to BIOS using F10 but it could be F2 etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…