Laptop start time

rod45 08:03 17 Nov 10

Hi, after getting advice from people here, i bought a Compaq Presario CQ56-111SA Laptop, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4500 2.3GHz, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 15.6" HD, DVD-RW, GMA 4500M, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, which i am happy with, and thanks for everyones advice,but it does seem to take a long time starting up. Its the first time i have had any dealings with Windows 7 and it does seem to have a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles, so i guess there's a lot more going on during startup. Can anyone advise me of ways to make it faster please.

Rod

Batch 08:34 17 Nov 10

Would be useful if you gave some indications of how long it takes to start (boot) from the point where you hit the power button to the point where it is fully booted.

Also, what apps (like AV software, Office etc.)are installed?

arthur_10 09:03 17 Nov 10

Good Morning Good People!

Hope you are all well, I'll cut down the small talk and get straight in to it... I am looking for a new laptop thats pretty cheap but at the same time powerful... I will not be using the laptop for gaming but it will be used to run a DJ software called Traktor PRO.

Could someone please advice me on the best brand, processor ect... So far I have narrowed down my search to these:

click here

click here

Batch 09:28 17 Nov 10

What are you doing posting your own totally unrelated question in someone else's thread?

rawprawn 09:35 17 Nov 10

Go to Start> Run> Type msconfig and hit Enter, Open the Start Tab and untick anything you do not need to start (This does not uninstall them it just stops the loading up at stasrt up.)
Reboot your machine.

lotvic 23:33 17 Nov 10

Don't fret, click on 'Start new subject' at the top of this page, just above the very first post.
Then you can have your own thread and get advice.
(as I'm sure you meant to and made mistake by adding to this one - many new posters have made same error before - it's no big deal)

birdface 10:40 18 Nov 10

Make sure your Anti-Virus program is not running a scan at start up, Program it to run at another time which would suit you.
In msconfig I only have 4 programs running at start up.
In services there are quite a few other programs that run at start up just a pity there is not a program that could actually switch them off if not needed.
I tried black viper I think you call it when using XP and had to go back and try and repair what I had done as I had made a bit of a mess of it.

woodchip 10:47 18 Nov 10

Plus Services need sorting so no unnecessary things do not start. Check this out click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant