laptop start up no internet

mco 20:22 16 Jun 05

Friend didn't shut down his laptop properly, then let battery run down. Next time he switched it on he found it wouldn't connect to the internet (he has a wireless card which appears to be working and says he's connected) - also laptop is really really slow. Tried system restore but no joy - any other ideas please? Thanks!

alltime 20:26 16 Jun 05

mco Is the laptop searching for the Ip address when you click on the small connection screen?

mco 20:44 16 Jun 05

first it says it can't find a wireless connection (tho there is one) then it says its connected but you can't access the internet. I know there's a code to type in (which would appear stillto be there, asterixed) It's as if everything is still there that was before but it just doesn't work this time.

VoG II 20:46 16 Jun 05

click here may be worth a try.

alltime 20:51 16 Jun 05

Go to connections/show all connections / right click on wireless connection/ and click repair.

mco 20:54 16 Jun 05

tried repair several times and it fails to do it, giving different reasons each time.

mco 20:56 16 Jun 05

will try yours next!

mco 23:47 16 Jun 05

Nope - can't download it onto his laptop and he doesn't have floppy disc drive to transfer it that way and I don't have pen/flash drive to do it via usb.

mco 23:48 16 Jun 05

where's the bit for manually entering your IP address? I remember doing this when the children's pc lost its internet connection, something to do with a windows xp update.

De Marcus 23:51 16 Jun 05

try pressing f8 when machine turns on and select 'last known good configuration.'

woodchip 23:52 16 Jun 05

Check that settings have not got corrupted by resetting the Wireless card setting to match the Router

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5