LAPTOP START

Buddies 08:15 30 Mar 04

I got this laptop - (P1) I think with 32MB RAM. Problem is the machine do not let me into his BIOS, went straight to POST, and hangs in DOS with the message:"Replace System Disk and press any key when ready".
I tried the WIN98 Boot disk, it worked, got into the DOS Directories - saw WINDOWS has been loaded, but I cannot determine which Windows it was - or WIN95/WIN98.

How can I get Windows to start without deleting important info. on the Hard Drive which capacity is 2.0GB? The HDD is almost full. Please help.

xania 09:30 30 Mar 04

When you are in DOS, type WIN and Windows should load. If it still fails, you have a major failure of Windows and you should re-install from your installation CD. However, if, as you imply, you don't have this, then I have to question why you are using Windows unlicenced. I then suggest that you copy all your important data files onto floppy disc, clean down your hard disk and start up again legally.

Buddies 09:49 30 Mar 04

Hi XANIA, Thanx for your reply. The software is licenced, I am just helping a friend who cannot remember what Windows he used.
How do I copy my important files to a floppy in DOS, as well as how do I browse for my files in DOS?

Please advise
Thanks

JerryJay 10:36 30 Mar 04

Get a old version of Norton Commander if you can.

Search net found one freeware dos file manager here click here. It looks ok, but I have to say I never used it do not know if it is good or not. For any program from net, use at your own risk.

JerryJay 10:41 30 Mar 04

Some info about dos based file mamanger click here

Buddies 10:45 30 Mar 04

Ok will try it and see if it will work

Buddies 19:21 01 Apr 04

I reformatted the HDD + partition it. Running like a dream. Thanx GUYS!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…