Laptop specs??

thedufus 11:32 24 Mar 03

I was wodnering if some kind people could help me out there. I have just a very small knowledge of computers which is kinda strange since im doing a whole uni course in them. I am soon to buy me a laptop in the £1000 range but dont quite know what specifications i should be looking for. Its for uni and the course im doing is like computer animation so i am using a lot of graphics packages like photoshop 7. Can anyone help???

davidg_richmond 17:34 24 Mar 03

are you gonna be using it on battery or mostly mains? difference is, if you use it on mains you will get a much more powerful lappy (just s*d all battery life).

i would say spec-wise try and get 512Mb RAM but its very difficult at that price. if you get 256Mb, make sure its 'DDR' RAM (double data rate, quicker). dont go for anything less than a 2200+ Athlon or 2.0Ghz Pentium 4. i dont know if you need a good graphics card or not for your work but best ensure you get 32Mb or more graphics and make sure it doesnt share the main RAM for best performance.

Software-wise its always good to get the MS Works Suite that has Word 2002 in it for your assignments - preferably included with the lappy as its about £99 or so.

Following on from what davidg_richmond suggests, I would not worry too much about memory, just make sure its the DDR. I have just stuck in another 256Mb stick for £25 from Crucial and it is easier to fit to a laptop than a desktop!!

Also, as you are a Uni student, Software wise, I would go for the Office XP Student version at £99 or thereabouts. You get Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint for this very decent price!!

Following on from what davidg_richmond suggests, I would not worry too much about memory, just make sure its the DDR. I have just stuck in another 256Mb stick for £25 from Crucial and it is easier to fit to a laptop than a desktop!!

Also, as you are a Uni student, Software wise, I would go for the Office XP Student version at £99 or thereabouts. You get Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint for this very decent price!!

davidg_richmond 18:12 24 Mar 03

oops forgot about Student XP! thanks Smiffy.

its available from Dixons, PC World at £119. havent been in for a few days, but normally there's a free Epson C42 printer with it worth £60 (although you buy the USB cable yourself!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…