laptop spec help

lonemascot 17:53 24 Aug 07

I'm looking at buying a new laptop to accompany a new photographic course I will be doing at college.

My budget is limited to £500.

I will be mainly using it to edit photos.

What specs should I be looking out for?

Cheers guys.

Totally-braindead 18:10 24 Aug 07

This isn't my forte but most laptops would be fine it depends how far you are going into photography. A large hard drive is pretty much essential for storing all the photos and I would think an external hard drive as a backup would be the same.
Depending on the size of the photos you are manipulating a large amount of memory RAM would be needed, the bigger the images you are going to be working with the larger the amount of memory would be needed.
Now I'm just a point and click user so I can't advise on anything else.

Weskit 18:27 24 Aug 07

I would think you should make sure it has a good clear display, one or two I've seen aren't as clear as my cheap Woolies Medion.

kjrider 18:58 24 Aug 07

A new desktop pC would give you more value for money - bigger HD, more Ram and a faster CPU. The disadvantage is that it isn't very portable.

playmofire 20:26 24 Aug 07

I've just bought a Fujitsu Seimens Amilo Li1718 from Tesco for £478. It comes with 1G RAM expandable to 4 and a 120G hard drive, Vista Home Premium and Intel Core 2 Duo. I intend using it for photo work and think it'll be ok as my Toshiba with 1G RAM and 80G HD and Windows XP handles photo editing ok - Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 and FXfoto.

lonemascot 09:02 25 Aug 07

right so i need lots of memory and disc space. what about the type of processor and graphics card.

any suggestions on what to look out for?

m0ng00se132 09:50 25 Aug 07

processor, go for at least amd x2 dual core to speed up everything, graphics card not so important unless you play games or use 3D modelling programs to render models etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac