Laptop spec - advice please

EFC1878 13:32 02 Oct 10

I have an old pc running XP and I am looking to upgrade possibly to a laptop.

Would appreciate advice on what spec to go for and any pointers to good deals.

I do quite a lot of video editing using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11

northumbria61 14:52 02 Oct 10

There should be plenty of advice available for you on here but please give more detail of what you are going to use it for and maximum budget.

EFC1878 15:31 02 Oct 10

Video editing is probably the most demanding thing that I would plan to do on the laptop. Other than that it would be the normal i.e. surfing; photos; using office apps etc.

In terms of budget I woukld like to spend no more than I have to and in the region of £450 or less if possible

northumbria61 11:08 03 Oct 10

I would read this first - click here

The Kestrel 12:24 03 Oct 10

You will probably need a 17" screen and a dedicated graphics card for your video editing and photos. This HP laptop from ebuyer click here would probably do the job, but is a little over your budget.

EFC1878 19:42 04 Oct 10

northumbria - thanks for the link an interesting read which has given me plenty of food for thought which is the beauty of a site like this . I am starting to wonder whether a new desktop might be both a safer and cost effective optioon. Particul;alry as I would preserve the optioon to upgrade in the future if needs be.

Kestrel - that looks one of the best specs for a laptop that I have seen in my relatively short search

northumbria61 20:47 04 Oct 10

"I am starting to wonder whether a new desktop might be both a safer and cost effective optioon. Particul;alry as I would preserve the optioon to upgrade in the future if needs be"

I would tend to agree that a desktop would be the most cost effective. It all depends whether you want portability or not.

northumbria61 22:07 04 Oct 10

The Top 5 Sub-£500 Desktop PCs of September 2010

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5