Laptop sound has vanished

gartoye 13:21 06 May 07

Hi, with the help of yourselves on the forum I've kept my desktop pc in pretty good shape but know very little about laptops. My friends kids are always putting loads of free junk on his wifes laptop til it slows to a crawl & roughly once every 6 months I take it away, start it in safe mode, update & run the security progs & give it back, this has been fine up til now.

This time however theres no sound at all & Im a bit baffled, I dont own a laptop & expected to just simply enable sound or something in bios but I cant find any sound options, I figured being a lappy it would all be onboard, but dont know how to enable it.

Its a 4 yr old Hewlet Packard with 256mb RAM & a 1.6Ghz Intel CPU if I remember rightly (I cant recall the exact model though). Sorry for not giving full system specs, please could someone advise whats the procedure for getting the sound going on a laptop, I ran my own desktop pc with onboard sound & then installed a soundcard & disabled the onboard with no problems, but as usual when it conmes to laptops it all seems different to me, please advise, cheers.

birdface 19:28 06 May 07

Have you been into control panel,Sound and audio devices,Make sure it does not have the mute ticked,Or go into device manager,make sure there are no yellow exclamation marks on any of the devices,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:51 06 May 07

there will also be sound control buttons somewhere close to where the mic and headphone socket are located. make sure the sound isn't turned to minimum at this point.

gartoye 14:18 07 May 07

Thanks for the responses, I will check if its muted, the HP site mentions this among other things to try but I reckon as per these replies its hopefully something like the sound turned down or muted, cheers folks.

Pita BT 14:57 07 May 07

A short while ago many people lost sound (and other things) as a result of a Microsoft update KB925902.
Microsoft published an update (KB935448) to remedy this problem.
You might check if KB925902 update was made to the computer and if so download and install KB935448.
Get it here.
click here

Sorry, I don't know how to do the click here bit

Pita BT 14:58 07 May 07

Oh Dear. I didn't realise that it was automatic.

woodchip 15:13 07 May 07

Have you tried reloading the Sound Drivers? is there a Speaker Icon in the System Tray near to the Clock?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…