Laptop sound cards

-eddie- 12:39 01 Sep 09

Hi, I recently bought a HP HDX16 laptop and am very impressed with it other than the sound quality. I am soon going to university to study sound engineering and need a laptop that has decent audio.

I know little about hardware for computers and laptops and need some advice on what would be the best way of improving the sound quality. According to the system information i have two sound devices:

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC &
NVIDIA Hight Definition Audio

..Im not really sure what this means but i thought it might help :)

Thank you in advance for any help

100andthirty 12:57 01 Sep 09

I would wait 'till I get to University and ask the experts there. I'm sure they'll have some recommendations as well as "I wouldn't buy one of those, if I were you......" comments.

however if you want to look in advance

try here: click here

or here:

click here

100andthirty 13:03 01 Sep 09

oh, and some decent speakers would be good too:

I have these:

Creative Gigaworks T20 and there a more expensive T40. they're simple, good quality 2.0 stereo speakers

-eddie- 20:46 01 Sep 09

Thanks for the advice. External sound cards are most promising i think.. i will need to earn a bit of cash to afford one though.. As for speakers, i already have a pretty good set (not great) but good enough because i listen more with headphones, and ive got a good set of them :)

Do you know if the sound card i have now is seperate or built in with the motherboard? I dont know how you can find out, but i would guess its built in.

100andthirty 21:15 01 Sep 09

I don't know for certain, bit would guess that it's built into the motherboard and can't be upgraded. the external ones I've suggested will be connected via USB2 and will be quite well isolated from the noises and interference of the computer. Both my HP laptops have the sound built in. indeed most desktops do these days too. Relatively few people are interested in really good sound these days.

If you want to learn more about the sound cards I've suggested, typing the exact make and model name + the word review into Google usually comes up with some reviews

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017