Laptop Sound Card / Home Receiver Connection

User-1328080 19:06 20 Jan 09

Hi

I've recently purchased a Sony Vaio FW21M laptop which I want to use as my multimedia hub for my home due to it's impressive multimedia specs.

I currently have a query regarding sound output which I hope someone can help me with.

I know my laptop outputs full 1080p video via the HDMI connection, but how do I get the best sound out of it? As far as I can see, the only way is to connect to my home reciever amp using the stereo headphone jack, but surely this defeats the object of the multimedia laptop??

How can I get 5.1 or 7.1, Dolby HD Audio out of it and also output super audio if I want to? My home receiver doesn't have an ethernet port. I have read posts that refer to replacing the internal sound card with a better one but can you do this on the sony laptop?? Also I've read about external sound cards via a USB connection or that I can convert the headphone connection to optical but I'm at a loss as to which way to go to get ultimate sound quality. I want to use my laptop to store and play HD movies / music so advice would be GREATLY appreciated :-)

Many thanks

Tim

User-1328080 22:27 20 Jan 09

Can anyone help please :-)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…