Laptop sound

steve263000 16:58 13 Nov 09

I have just purchased a new laptop,(A Compaq). However when I try to play a DVD the sound is quite low and certainly not enough to listen to.When a tried a pair of headphones no sound came from them. I have never used a laptop before although I have
been using main computers for years. The sound has been turned right up but still the sound is poor. I do know that I will not get the same sound as my other one but I thought it would be better than this. Has someone got any ideas to sort it out or is it defective?

FreeCell 17:40 13 Nov 09

Sound should be fine on a laptop. When you say sound "has been turned up" where is this? Have you checked the settings for for the Volume control (usually appears as an icon in the system tray on the bottom right). Also check the settings in the Sound and Audio Devices in Control Panel in case headphones are muted.

Woolwell 17:53 13 Nov 09

Windows 7 or Vista?
Which model Compaq.
I have recent Compaq and the speakers are not loud. However through headphones it is ok.
Right click on the volumne icon and select playback devices and check that headphones are not muted.

woodchip 18:04 13 Nov 09

Have you tried turning sound up? if not Volume wheel press fn key bottom left and the volume key on the top row

steve263000 12:39 14 Nov 09

Thanks for the responses to my query.The laptop is this one-click here and after reading the responses I right clicked and found that the PC speakers were turned down. It seems to be not to bad with hradphones but some music is still fairly quiet. Maybe it is just the type of lappy. I will give it a few days and try some more things like DVD's on it

woodchip 21:31 14 Nov 09

Get some USB powered Speakers, mine are very good did not cost much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…