Laptop sound

Murf 20:30 11 Aug 04

Hi all, just bought a 2nd hand compaq armada m700. p3 850Mhz.
only problem is there is no sound output either from the speakers or the headphone port.

it came with win2k on it which looked like it had been freshly installed, the sound didnt work on it when i got it and the original 20gig hdd had been replaced with a 15 Gb travelstar.

to try and solve this problem i have looked through all the sound control panels and made sure everything is switched on and selected.

next i installed xp sp1 in case it was a driver problem, this didnt work so i downloaded drivers from HP's website, this made no difference.

after downloading a manual i discovered the laptop has hotkeys which disable and enable the sound output, i went through the instructions but none of the hotkeys seem to work or be enableable (is that a word??)
this got me to thinking that maybe the hotkeys were on a seperate partition of the original hdd and that this had now been lost due to the new disk.

does anyone know anything about this or suggest where to look as i'm running out of ideas!

Thanks!
ps, there is nothing in the bios regarding sound etc...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:06 11 Aug 04

Have you added the Hot Key support software from the Compaq download site?

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 11 Aug 04

2.) Additional Software
You'll find all available drivers and software add-ons on the download site.
All of he stuff for XP is here:
click here

Murf 21:13 11 Aug 04

yep, installed hotkey support and it hasnt done anything!

Murf 21:14 11 Aug 04

well, i mean the hotkeys work and get a little sound slider but still no sound!

Murf 08:48 12 Aug 04

Bump :-)

Toolman 16:35 12 Aug 04

I take it you have checked the obvious. It has got speakers still and they do work?

Murf 22:55 12 Aug 04

yep it does have speakers and i have plugged headphones into the headphone port but still nothing except very faint static on the headphones!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…