Laptop Slow Startup XP Home

woodchip 19:17 08 May 09

This seams to be after MS updates that it got slower loading. more so after the last one I did. Shut down is not a problem.
CPU Centrino single core
1 Gig ram,
Its fast enough once its started. also takes an age to get connected after being in sleep mode. Though I am connected to Router

woodchip 19:31 08 May 09

I keep my System Clean and Defraged, no garbage its a 2.13 Gig hz CPU

woodchip 23:13 08 May 09

^^

phono 23:22 08 May 09

Do you have any unnecessary programs or services loading at startup?

woodchip 09:10 09 May 09

I think its one of the MS updates but do not know the one that as done it. at first boot screen comes up with Wallpaper and icons and task bar are delayed.
I Have stopped I think about four Services running but need to look at them Further I also stopped some programs starting at boot in msconfig. but still the slow boot first thing.

birdface 09:55 09 May 09

If the updates were recent maybe a system restore to a time before you downloaded them.Then if you have to run the updates again run them one at a time and see if you can find the one causing the problem.
There have been a few complaints about recent updates.
There have been a few very large updates like IE8 and SP3 so maybe getting a bit short of memory.
Just noticed that you are connected via a router so I know very little about them and don't know if that could be the problem.
Check Task Manager to make sure nothing is using up the CPU.System Idle process should be showing about 97% if nothing is running this is normal.
Also check device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of your drivers.

JanetO 09:57 09 May 09

If you reinstall xp over itself (repair install) you won't lose data and it'll only take a couple of hours, including all updates.

T0SH 10:09 09 May 09

Assuming you have a PATA drive have you checked in device manager under the advanced settings of the IDE controller, verify your boot drive is running in the correct Ultra DMA mode, if it has reverted to PIO mode then booting can be a bit like watching paint dry

Cheers HC

Belatucadrus 10:56 09 May 09

Or if you go "Add or remove programs" and select the "Show updates" tickbox then it'll show the security updates in the program list. You could try uninstalling the last couple, see if it makes any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…