Laptop slow start up

Johnallan 14:14 02 Oct 10

Can someone help please in deciding what I can clear to vastly improve start-up time from currently 5-6mins - many thanks. Here is the 33 items listed.

susched
00THotkey
00StTHK
NvCpl
nwiz
nvsysrot
Apoint
TEDTray
LTSMMSG
ToshHKCW
TFNF5
Smoothview
TPSMain
TIMESRV31
TIMERzCH
TIMESB232
TFncKy
TAvdEff
PRoNoMgr
CFD
gttask
ituneshelper
WrtMon
Lxdomon
Sm3023
rundl32
toscdspd
ctfmon
msnMsgr
SuperAntispyware
Microsoft Find Fast
Microsft Office
Microsoft Find Fast

Johnallan 15:11 02 Oct 10

Many thanks,a lot to go through so I will start working on it. A couple of things

I got the start up from run - msconfig - system Config Utility.

I removed one of the 256 Ram and installed the 1GB Ram, I presume that is OK to mix different size RAM? As it happens I could not find the other 256?

Again thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 02 Oct 10

00THotKey.exe
to use the front buttons, play, stop, next, prev.
UP TO YOU / DISABLE

00StTHK more Tosiba configuration
DISABLE

NvCpl /nwiz /nvsysrot
Nividea card functions
you can always use the Nvidea start control panel to play with the configurations.
DISABLE

Apoint
Touchpad software Required for proper
functioning of the pointing software
LEAVE alone

TEDTray is the main executable for TOSHIBA DualPoint Utility Main Module, provides configuration options for dual pointing device
DISABLE

LTSMMSG
Lucent Tech. Soft Modem Messaging application
DISABLE

ToshHKCW
Toshiba Wireless Hotkey. This task provides support for the Fn+F8 wireless hotkey on Toshiba laptops which have Wi-Fi (wireless networking) and/or Bluetooth support
LEAVE

tfnf5
Toshiba Hotkey Utility for Display Devices. By pressing + , a window appears showing the displays that can be chosen – LCD, LCD + CRT, CRT, TV
DISABLE unless using laptop for presentations

TAudEff.exe
The process TOSHIBA Audio Effect or TOSHIBA Mic Effect
DISABLE

PRoNoMgr
Intel PRO series ethernet adapters giving access to the diagnostic features
DISABLE

CFD
Broadjump basically spyware
DISABLE

gttask
Quicktime task
DISABLE

ituneshelper
DISABLE

WrtMon
spooldriver, part of Presto PageManager that is bundled with Canon Scanners
LEAVE for NOW

Lxdomon
Lexmark printer 3500-4500
DISABLE

Sm3023
?????
if not sure I always DISABLE

rundl32
should NOT be in startup entries, Added by the W32/Demotry-A worm
SCAN for Virus and malware using an up to date Virus scanner and MAlwarebytes.

toscdspd
Tosiba CD speed used to slow and therefore silence CD drives
DISABLE

ctfmon
Office
DISABLE

main executable file for the MSN Messenger program from Microsoft If you do do use MSmessnger then DISABLE

SuperAntispyware
LEAVE

Microsoft Find Fast /Microsft Office /Microsoft Find Fast
DISABLE

Johnallan 16:28 02 Oct 10

Many thanks, I am working my way through them.

Cracker65 17:40 02 Oct 10

pc's don't nesessarily need antispyware on start up.you've got antivirus protecting.You can always run the spyware if it gets sluggish.I havn't got antispyware on my pc and it's fine.I run system mechanic 9.5 and kaspersky antivirus.

Cracker65 17:43 02 Oct 10

Also I'd be suspicious of a spyware programme that is not a well known name.I would do an antivirus scan on this programme.

Cracker65 17:48 02 Oct 10

pc's don't nesessarily need antispyware on start up.you've got antivirus protecting.You can always run the spyware if it gets sluggish.I havn't got antispyware on my pc and it's fine.I run system mechanic 9.5 and kaspersky antivirus.1.25 gb.Not really enough for a fast pc.3GB Woooooosh!!

Johnallan 19:12 02 Oct 10

Thanks Cracker65, As I am using Norton 360, hopefully that's not the culprit for the really really slow start up and running of the laptop. Still working through Fruit Bat and I24 helpful tips.

Johnallan 15:58 03 Oct 10

OK Fruit Bat, Cracker65 and I24. Thanks for your suggestions and I have followed best I can although I have not managed to get the hard drive checked (bleepingcomputers) becasue I get to a point that identifies the hard drive as a toshiba MK 6021 GAS - GA024G and then it says select target drive, I try to highlight and / or type in the detail and it will not let me, so I am a bit stuck.

At moment still 5mins to start up and slow when starting up applications

Anyway other tasks carried out include

Ran cccleaner
Carried out start up clean out as per suggestion, now only 4 items in start up.
Ran Super Antispyware
Ran Defragger (twice - approx 7-8 hours each time)
Hard drive 55GB using 35GB

If you guys have any other suggestions, then I would appreciate your help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:20 03 Oct 10

sounds like the drive is running slow
check mode if IDE drive

a) Hard drives /

i) IDE Channels:
Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP or Vista, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Johnallan 18:02 03 Oct 10

Many thanks Fruit Bat, your help much appreciated. System drive was already set to NTFS, but the transfer mode was PIO and I have now changed to DMA.

The system is running much faster taking about 2 mins to start up, but after that programmes are opening up 10-15 seconds.

I have never updated any drivers, can you recommend the best route to get these updated?

Once again thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…