Laptop slow shutdown and ram question

wrg 14:11 20 Apr 07

I have a HP ZE4801ea. It seems to take an age to shut down. This problem started when I installed some software in that it would not shut down at all. This was obviously a problem and they advised I changed something in XP (cant remember where now and I have uninstalled the software) to change the value from 0 to 1. I did and it did not work. I uninstalled the software and did not undo the changes I made but the laptop still takes and age to shutdown. On the ram question it currently has 2 slots and I have 256 in both. I would like to upgrage to 1gig. Can I just buy 1gig ram or 2 512 ram and is it worth it?

Thanks
WRG

ArrGee 15:38 20 Apr 07

If you have set a restore point to before the time you installed the software, go back to that.

Also run this (free)
click here

Have you run any spyware/adware applications such as SpyBot, AdAware?

In terms of the ram, this depends very much on the usage you have for the machine. My PC has two gig as I do a fair bit of video work and also use it for high-end graphics applications. My girlfriend on the other hand, has a laptop running at 800MHz with a 128 and a 256 ram installed, used only for some surfing and emails, and works just fine for her.

wrg 16:32 20 Apr 07

ArrGee

Thanks for your response. Do you mean download the
Advanced Windows Carev2 personal?. My laptop is 1.86Mh. I use it for recording music, surfing and e-mailing but most of all and more importantly for playing FM2007 which can get slow. I think I would like to add more ram but was unsure whether it was best to use 2*512 modules or 1 1gig module and also whether I would notice any change in performance.

Once again thanks for you response.

tullie 16:47 20 Apr 07

Look here,excellant company

click here

wrg 16:53 20 Apr 07

tullie

Thanks for that

wrg 18:31 20 Apr 07

ArrGee

Great product thanks a lot for pointing me in the direction

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5