Laptop shutting down.

navagator 18:54 30 Dec 03

I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite 1800 series laptop using Windows XP Home. The system keeps closing itself down (instantaneously). When I restart, the system opens up at the desktop as normal without displaying the "windows did not close correctly" sign.
The only Warning in the Event Viewer, (System tab) is, "the driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR". The EventID is 34.
So far I have reformatted the hard drive, carryied out a complete scandisk and then reloaded Windows XP. The hard disk appears to be ok. I have also removed XP and tried to load 98 but the system kept closing down. It did however allow me to reload XP.
Any ideas?

johnnyrocker 18:59 30 Dec 03

any warning message such as administrator has detected etc? what av do you have and is it up to date?

johnny.

navagator 19:04 30 Dec 03

Thanks for the reply. Norton Professional with up to date virus and no warning messages.

fred 21:42 30 Dec 03

It could be overheating under processor/graphics intensive poecesses. My 1800-814 did just as you say yours does. I sent it to Toshiba (sorry no addys available as I've disposed of the machine and manuals) and it was back within a week with no further problems. I run UD so the processor use was/is 100% 100% of the time.

navagator 16:17 31 Dec 03

Thanks Fred. In addition to the original symptoms, I have now been able to play a complete DVD film without the laptop shutting down. After the film finished and I went back to my desktop, it shut down again almost immediately and continues to do so. I suspect you are right about the overheating it's just strange that it will play a complete film without shutting down.

wee eddie 22:45 31 Dec 03

I know mine tends to do this when the power drops too low.

navagator 12:40 01 Jan 04

Thanks wee eddie. The battery looks fine and besides, the fault happens with the ac adaptor on which was checked with a spare ac adaptor.
I now think that this is the dreaded overheating problem which laptops are prone to. Sadly it's looking like a trip to the toshiba doctor and a dent in the bank balance. Thanks to all for the help and happy new year to you and yours.

navgator.

wee eddie 15:34 01 Jan 04

The battery removed and the transformer plugged in.

There have been stories of old batteries causing such a problem

wee eddie 16:29 01 Jan 04

Identical problem on another board in Feb, last year.

Apparently solved by the removal of Zone Alarm. but the correspondent did not confirm the solution.

If that is anything like here - then it probably worked.

wednesday 13 16:58 01 Jan 04

This could happen again. How much memory do you have?

fred 21:50 01 Jan 04

In my case the Toshiba cure involved a new BIOS and some silicone around the fan/processor. Not too expensive sounding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…