Laptop shared graphics

sharkfin 16:58 30 Nov 05

hi,

if a laptop has shared graphics, would the graphics card be using the meory all the time? or would it only use that memory when you play a game? meaning that the laptop still has full use of the full memory?

jack 17:28 30 Nov 05

Graphics uses memory all the time -therefore the bigger load on the memeory if shared, the less is available for background activities.
So its either or - Play games or do something else- come to think of it - if you are playing a game what else would the computer be doing?

ade.h 17:31 30 Nov 05

It's my understanding that the shared RAM is allotted and fixed; that's why people often ask on this forum why their laptop has less memory than they expected. Out of 512MB, say, they have 64MB apparently missing. Of course, it may be possible to alter the Video RAM allocation in BIOS, if that feature has been included.

ade.h 17:33 30 Nov 05

The term "shared" is probably innacurate really, given that it is never freed up.

sharkfin 19:20 30 Nov 05

hi thanks! yes i was a bit confused about the shared term. I was thinking that shared meant that the graphics card would only dip into the memory reserve only when it needed it, i.e playing a game. But I understand now that it is fixed so really I only have 384MB for the laptop. I think its a bit misleading now that i think about it.

Hopefully a memory upgrade in future should help.

thanks for clearing it up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…