laptop set up

1smurff 19:12 16 Jan 08

recently aquired a laptop which has been 'wiped', tried the discs that came with it,entered product code but to no avail,screen has microsoft windows 98 and c:\> with cursor flashing ,each time we try something message reads bad command ,file name.Any help,step by step guide greatly appreciated.laptop is a dell inspiron 3800.
thanks

Graham. 19:26 16 Jan 08

Are the discs Dell or Windows 98? Laptops often need the former.

1smurff 19:54 16 Jan 08

all discs are dell, been through some trouble shooting answers in helproom,managed to set time and date but on start up,re-boot still same as before

Technotiger 19:55 16 Jan 08

At the flashing cursor type "setup.exe" without the quotes. Not guaranteeing immediate success, but it might get things going.

Let us know what happens then.

Technotiger 19:56 16 Jan 08

At the flashing cursor type "setup.exe" without the quotes. Not guaranteeing immediate success, but it might get things going.

Let us know what happens then.

1smurff 19:59 16 Jan 08

tried the setup.exe, no change though,my wife is getting very frustrated,new toy ,not working

VoG II 20:04 16 Jan 08

If it is showing c:\> that suggests that Windows is already installed. Try typing a DOS command like Dir

1smurff 20:18 16 Jan 08

did that screen said volume in drive c has no label, it gives a serial number and free bytes etc, the waits for another command,we've tried typing in upload,run,start etc, but bad commandor file name keeps coming up.We expected to just plug and play or insert disc[s] reinstallation of windows me, system software disc,driver discs and away to go however, it does'nt want to play with us

Technotiger 20:21 16 Jan 08

If you can see the drive C: in My Computer, tight-click on it and then on Rename. Rename the Drive as "Local Disk (C:)" without the quotes.

Then try Dir again or even setup.exe ........

Technotiger 20:23 16 Jan 08

right-click - not tight ...

BTW, Local Disk (C:), is the normal 'label'

1smurff 20:35 16 Jan 08

slight problem,no mouse came with laptop,the one i'm using has to be installed unable to pass square one on this one, sorry,if a mouse is a must will have to come back tommorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009