Laptop screen problems

281apple 08:27 18 Dec 04

Hi all, Got a laptop HP and it has worked fine for 7 months. Yesterday, opened the lid and turned it on and there was nothing on the screen but rapidly flooting images like on a VHS tape which is blurred. I think it is a virus problem but a guy told me it could be a cable or other type of problem. Any help before drastically reinstalling everything? Thanks.

jack 08:55 18 Dec 04

Morning 'R' may as well put my thoughts here.
My guess is a cracked connector ribbon between screen and body.
Dont know if they are replaceable - I think they are hardwired to the screen end in which case
new screen, very expensive.

Graham ® 10:02 18 Dec 04

You may have accidently switched to an external monitor/projector mode. Press Fn key, bottom left, and one other (they vary, but may be F5) to revert to laptop screen.

jack 10:09 18 Dec 04

Graham may have a point, seeing that you managed to run a 'clean' external monitor.
Further to my own doom laden thoughts it may also be only a loosened connector at the machine side and simply needs pushing home- means opening up the machine though.

Satmansq 10:21 18 Dec 04

If Grahams response does not work, did you buy the laptop new because if so then it should still be covered by warranty.

Graham ® 19:53 18 Dec 04

Email received:

'Interesting approach. Would this be the same if when I connected to laptop to an external monitor it worked automatically AND CLEAR AND EASY TO READ; However, it was still visible on the laptop's screen but all slurred and unreadable.'

Please respond in the thread using 'Add a new response' below.

Yes, if the laptop has adapted to the external monitor, there is an option to display on the monitor at the same time.

menorcarob2 09:19 27 Jul 05

i have the same problem, could you tell me how you solve it. thanks

Graham ® 09:30 27 Jul 05

I suggest starting a new subject, describing your problem and what you have tried. As this thread is closed, the poster will not know you have responded.

Newuser959 17:06 11 Apr 06

I can hardly see the screen, is brigtht for about 2 seconds when switching on, then goes very dim. Help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…