Laptop screen problem

rawprawn 16:23 PM 04 Oct 11
Answered

My Sony Vaio Laptop (4 1/2 years old) has developed a 3 inch wide vertical stripe about mid screen which is light grey. I have booted in Safe Mode and it is there before anything loads, so I suspect the screen is on it's way out.It isn't too bad when looking at "Light coloured" pages, but ruins photos, videos etc. Has anyone any idea how long the screen might last like this, I don't really want to be buying a new computer just now, and I suspect a laptop screen is not worth replacing

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 PM 04 Oct 11

New screen will cost approx £75 if you fit it yourself not too hard a job lots of videos on Youtube.

In the process of doing a dell for my sister at the moment [niece did a backward somersault on to it :0)]

rawprawn 16:45 PM 04 Oct 11

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I may try that. I will see if I can find a screen.

rawprawn 17:27 PM 04 Oct 11

OK I have found a screen

It also gives instructions for fitting. Is it so easy? and is there anything I should watch out for? For example they show you how to take out the old screen, but screws etc are not really the same as on my machine. I would be venturing into the unknown, so I am wary.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 PM 04 Oct 11

Hardest part is finding the screws and not scratching the surround when trying to prise off screw caps :0)

Sometimes there are more screws holing the screen onto a bracket in the lid.

just be careful detaching the screen cables, easy if plugs, harder if a ribbon cable you do not want to rip it.

rawprawn 17:52 PM 04 Oct 11
Answer

*Fruit Bat /\0/* Thanks for the advice, I think I will have a go.

robin_x 20:08 PM 04 Oct 11

£110 is a bit steep.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nbsbnoss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=vaio+screen&x=16&y=17

If not sure which screen:

Use SIW to find your monitor type and ID number. Google the ID to see if CCFL or LED if not sure/haven't opened the screen housing yet. Inverter means CCFL.

Be sure you know screen size and resolution.

robin_x 20:09 PM 04 Oct 11
  robin_x 20:12 PM 04 Oct 11

SIW

Jeez, links

just replaced my acer one last week 10 minutes,I got mine off ebay(notebook bitz)service was first class.As previously mentioned identify the correct screen and validate it with supplier.The link i attatch is the supplier i used and price is reasonable £43.50. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Sony-Vaio-VPCEE3E0E-WI-15-6-LAPTOP-LCD-SCREEN-/400200037648?pt=UKComputingLaptopAccess_RL&hash=item5d2dc7f510

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED