Laptop screen going mad!

whisked 16:27 30 Oct 03

Just out the blue a couple of times this week whilst using my laptop, the screen suddenly became like a testcard on TV. It basically was full of vertical lines of all different colours that wobbled from side to side and changed shapes etc. The only way to stop this was to shut it down.

Has anyone any idea what would cause that, or anyone else had this problem?

whisked 14:09 31 Oct 03

Just pushing to the top in the hope of a reply. :)

Morpheus? 14:23 31 Oct 03

have you done the basic things, best to start at the beginning :-)..what OS you using?, have you run sfc ? or tried reinstalling the display drivers...sorry if you have done it all already.

johnnyrocker 14:28 31 Oct 03

poss graphics card prob or maybe the de gauss got pressed in error. what os?

whisked 14:29 31 Oct 03

Windows XP Home. Sorry what is de gauss?

whisked 14:31 31 Oct 03

I haven't done anything other than switch off the laptop and restart and everything is fine now. My question was really to understand what could have caused it incase the problem reoccurs and maybe gets worse.

Morpheus? 14:34 31 Oct 03

de-gauss is a screen that can look like oil on water, or if you hold a magnet near the screen, but the display is auto matically de-gaussed each time you start.

whisked 14:34 31 Oct 03

Fair enough folks, thanks for the replies. Hopefully i wont see it again as it was sore on my eyes!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…