Laptop Screen Flickering

aidanone 15:53 12 Nov 05

I have a Acer Laptop and i have used it for just short of a year. I have also used a pen drive to manage my files.
The problem is the other day i copied files from the internet and then loaded them onto the Laptop. Now the the laptop screen has started to flicker very badly. I cannot use the laptop at all. Sometimes when i leave the laptop for a period of time it when then work for about 10 mins then the flickering starts again.

Has anyone any ideas on why this is happening and what i can do to resolve the problem.

De Marcus™ 15:57 12 Nov 05

Boot the laptop into safe mode by pressing f8 as soon as you switch on and see if the flickering continues.

aidanone 20:07 12 Nov 05

I have tried to restart the laptop in safe mode however the problem still exists.

Any ideas?

De Marcus™ 21:03 12 Nov 05

Starting the laptop in safe mode would have discarded the loaded drivers and used windows generic ones. Thus ruling out drivers as a cause, although I hate to say it but the likelihood of your graphics chip going bonkers is less than your lcd backlight giving up the ghost which isn't the cheapest of repairs to have carried out.

Wait for others too confirm or dismiss my suspicions before making any decisions.

Chris Webster 21:24 12 Nov 05

aidanone,
Does the flickering stop if you open and close the lid a few times with your laptop switched on? I had a similar problem with my laptop and it was traced to a faulty inverter.

Cheers Chris.

De Marcus™ 23:17 12 Nov 05

^

woodchip 23:22 12 Nov 05

AS you should have XP, Try a System Restore, to Earlier date

De Marcus™ 23:26 12 Nov 05

Sys restore probably won't work, if the screen is flickering during safe mode (whilst generic drivers are loaded) a restore won't change that. But by all means give it a whirl, you never know, woodchip has blown me out the water on many an occasion :0)

woodchip 23:30 12 Nov 05

My guess is that whatever it is as changed ether system files or Registry settings

De Marcus™ 23:31 12 Nov 05

It's a good guess by any account woodchip and well worth checking in my book before sending in for repair (ouch).

Skyver 23:34 12 Nov 05

A friend of mine who had an Acer laptop suffered a similar problem after 10-12 months ownership, she had to put it in for repair. Sorry, I can't tell you the specific model number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…