laptop screen brightness

matofthemint 12:33 27 Apr 09

Inspiron E1505
Windows XP Pro, sp2

Until a couple of days past, when I unpluged the power cord or started the machine on battery the screen brightness did not change. Now when I unplug the power or start on battery the screen brightness goes quite dark. What causes this and how can I remedy it? I've checked the settings and nothing has changed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:41 27 Apr 09

Check the screen settings in the power option settings in control panel or in the start menu if your laptop has a "tools" option such as the IBMs.

matofthemint 12:46 27 Apr 09

Did that. Every thing is as it has always been. If I do change a setting, the results are the same.

Clapton is God 12:53 27 Apr 09

"when I unpluged the power cord or started the machine on battery the screen brightness did not change"

Which is unusual.

The 'norm' is for the screen to become less bright when switching to battery power to preserve battery life.

matofthemint 12:57 27 Apr 09

I am/was aware of that, but it never did it before, the screen always remained at the brightness I had it set to. Now it is so dark that it is hard to use.

Clapton is God 13:08 27 Apr 09

"Now it is so dark that it is hard to use"

Is the battery dying?

matofthemint 13:15 27 Apr 09

I don't think so. Battery metre says it is ok.

woodchip 13:42 27 Apr 09

it does sound like it gone onto power saver mode for display, You need to check it out, also try pressing fn key and the brightness key on mine a HP its F7 and F8 key

mooly 13:55 27 Apr 09

Mine does this, I know it's normal but never seen a setting for it. Is it in the BIOS menu perhaps.

matofthemint 14:01 27 Apr 09

I can change the brightness with Fn and two up/down arrow keys (Dell). It's just a nuiance. Have to live with it I suppose.

woodchip 14:48 27 Apr 09

check the display settings for power save mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac