Laptop screen blank

Silvio 20:08 07 Dec 10

We have a Hewlett Packard Laptop with a screen that I cannot get to work. The Laptop is a couple of years old and therefore no reason why it shouldn't start up. The the battery is fully charged however when the laptop is closed and then returned to open then the screen goes blank. This has happened for the last two days and I have managed to turn it on once.

woodchip 20:16 07 Dec 10

a couple of years old and therefore no reason why it shouldn't start up
what's that got to do with it not starting up?

Does it start from boot first time

Silvio 20:23 07 Dec 10

Thanks for your response.I wasn't sure if that was relevant, so I added it in...

I can't tell that it's starting from boot as the screen is blank

woodchip 20:39 07 Dec 10

Have you tried starting it just on mains power, with the battery removed? As if the battery as failed it can stop it booting up

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:40 07 Dec 10

try Pressing the screen change keys
FN + one of the F keys, look for a blue square on one of the F keys.

also check the closed lid button is not stuck down.

if laptop is booting you will hear fans and hard drive running.

Silvio 20:44 07 Dec 10

Not with the battery removed. I have an idea that it may possibly be the battery. Will it work without the battery in it? It's been left on a lot which may have killed the battery.

Silvio 20:48 07 Dec 10

Fruit bat - The laptop is booting. It's not with my right now so I can't test the symptons until I get it back. So I will try this. Otherwise it might mean buying a battery first!

woodchip 21:01 07 Dec 10

It should run okay on the Mains Adapter, if the Adapter is working. On the other hand if its not working then the battery will be flat also

woodchip 21:03 07 Dec 10

It should run okay on the Mains Adapter, if the Adapter is working. On the other hand if its not working then the battery will be flat also
PS does any light come on, on the Laptop when plugged into the Mains, with battery in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…