Laptop Screen Blank

Taw® 15:02 19 Oct 09

After deleting some files (mobile phone stuff, so may not have anything to do with this) my laptop seems to have stopped. Boots up, splash screen, then screen is black with just my cursor showing, cursor will move s normal. tried safe mode, but gets as far as screen with safe mode written in each corner and goes no further. Its an advent and I have no discs, so was wondering how even to reset back to factory settings.

birdface 15:10 19 Oct 09

I don't suppose pressing the Windows logo on the keyboard or Ctrl Alt delete buttons at the same time works.

Taw® 15:18 19 Oct 09

Thanks, but no I get nothing, other than the bblank screen and cursor

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 19 Oct 09

1.Turn on the PC.
2.Just after the first screen appears (the logo screen), press the F10(F11) key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears.
3.Select one of the following procedures, depending on which recovery type you want to perform:
To perform a standard system recovery, click Next, and then click Yes
To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, (select Destructive Recovery) and then click Next.
CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP Media Edition and the original software that came with the computer.

4.Read and respond to each window and screen that appears.
After the System Recovery is complete, the PC restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.

Taw® 08:18 20 Oct 09

Thanks for that Fruit Bat /\0/\ everything is easy when you know how LOL. Followed your instructions and went for standard recovery, all went like a dream,downloaded appropriate updates and machine running better than it has in a long while, quick boot up, and running faster. It was also to my daughters delight that all her GBs of files had not been destroyed as she thought, but saved to a new folder. Then came the lecture from Dad on the need to backup.LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…