Laptop running xp pro cannot regain harddisk space

shiner7 22:55 11 Jun 04

I have an old Advent 6413 Laptop, P3 1000mhz 512mb Memory, and a 60gb harddisk, running windoze xp pro. When I remove files from the harddisk the space freed is not being recongnised by windows, anybody any ideas? Are there any ways that I can force the system to get the space back. Have no viruses or any trojans as far as Macafee says.

stalion 23:00 11 Jun 04

have you run scandisk lately

pmjd 01:10 12 Jun 04

Unfortunately Scandisk doesn't exist in windowsXP, shame really was quite handy.

Assuming you've emptied the recycle bin, try running "Disk Cleanup" or "Disk Defragmenter" programs to give your disk a bit of a clean up and see if that makes any difference.

Report back what happens.

Hope this helps,
Paul

pat2068 01:47 12 Jun 04

you have diskcheck in win xp if you into my comp right click your c drive properties tools and error checking you will find diskcheck leo

shiner7 21:41 09 Jul 04

I had run scandisk and defragmented the disk, but this did not help. But the answer was Norton Protected Recycle Bin still keeping the area marked for recovery of the deleted files and as these were DVDs there was a lot of space to be reclaimed. Once I had removed these files from the Norton Protection Bin Folder the free space was regained. Thanks everyone who responded to my question. Shiner7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…