Laptop restarts and it's back to it's factory settings/wiped?

buel 21:57 28 Mar 14
Answered

Hi, Bit of an odd one- My friend's W7 laptop restarted and now it appears to have gone back to factory settings and all the data wiped? Is this highly unusual? Could it be a virus? Has everything actually been wiped?

Thank you in advance.

buel 08:21 29 Mar 14

Hello, please can anyone offer any help?

buel 08:53 29 Mar 14

No option of system restore and HD is showing that it is almost empty (it wasn't before the restart)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:26 29 Mar 14

Try Recuva to see if it will find the lost files on the drive

buel 09:36 29 Mar 14

Thanks, I'll tell him. Any idea why this would have happened though?

lotvic 12:03 29 Mar 14

Hard to say without knowing the make and model. Some laptops can be reset by holding down a key (or keys) on keyboard and while press power on button, that could possibly mean that if a key was 'stuck' it would go to the reset screen on startup.. though I would have thought it would be a menu brought up to choose from and not reset automatically. I could be wrong about that.

Woolwell 12:43 29 Mar 14

I suspect that your friend hasn't given you the full story. Why did it restart and how? I wonder if he had a menu after a crash and hit the wrong key?

alanrwood 12:53 29 Mar 14

How right you are Woolwell. These things don't "just happen". Remember the first law of Computers is GIGO (Garbage in - Garbage out).

Woolwell 14:27 29 Mar 14

The battery shouldn't wipe data.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:41 29 Mar 14

It doesn't just happen

however its not that hard

F8 at pwer up and think you are doing a system restore and it turns out to be a factory restore

john bunyan 15:18 29 Mar 14
Answer

Have you looked at he hidden recovery partition? I heard of a case where the data somehow ended up there. You could try Easus Partition Recovery tool, which worked for me with a young relative's laptop.

Partition Recovery Wizard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…