Laptop Required...Max price at £999 INC VAT.

Scouse 22:37 20 Mar 03

My son enters College in the new summer term.

His choices of e-business and a collection of various IT courses have given me the need to plan ahead regarding the purchase of a sensible laptop.

I have looked at the various sites from the mainstream retailers, Mesh, Dell, Evesham etc and taken some prices onboard.

Anyone who has knowledge of alternative cut-price retailers would be doing me a huge favour.

Thanx in advance,

Scouse.

davidg_richmond 00:32 21 Mar 03

click here heard of them but not tried them - good prices though.

in general look for a laptop with 1.5ghz celeron+ with 256Mb ram, win XP, floppy drive, Microsoft Word/Works as standard - you should easily get one for this price from most dealers.

I Abhor Dixons. I really cannot stand them and would not cross their doormat for anything.....except for what I thought was a rather good deal on a laptop!!

Toshiba Satellite 1110 with 1.8 Celeron. 256Mb DDR Ram, CD/RW & DVD Combo, 14.1 " Screen, Ethernet & Modem, USB 2 and loads more.

What got me was that this was up for £999 but that for an "extra" £100, you could have a Epsom C60 printer thrown in and also a Kodak Easyshare DX4330 digital camera which retails in all the shops at around £250.

Now, by my maths the printer and camera make the laptop about £800 all in and the camera is going on Ebay ASAP, printer already sold for £50 and I have a fairly decent laptop for little money and certainly less than I would have paid had I not had the extras to sell.

£25 from Crucial and an Extra 256Mb Ram is installed.

Still doubt if I will go back to Dixons though....till next time!

BTW - as ever, the prices have just been reduced to £999 for the WHOLE package and £899 for the laptop alone! (Found out one day after my 7 day return promise ;-((

Goldcroft 08:11 21 Mar 03

The Sony Vaio (?) was £999 and got some very good mentions in the PCA.

Scouse 11:40 21 Mar 03

Thanks for the comments and pointers Guys, having a look around including the Student Computers site.

Any more ideas welcome.

Thanx

Scouse

bfoc 14:18 21 Mar 03

I've just got, for a local church, a Cybercom laptop with 15' screen, 2000+ Athlon Mobile Chip, 256Mb Ram, Nvdia Graphics, 40 Gig HD, DVD/CDRW combo drive, 3 USB ports (says on box USB2 but not checked yet!), modem, network and firwire also tv out and monitor port. Total price with 2 year warranty £899, vat included, 3rd year warranty for £30.
Slighlty lower spec for £799.

Not bad, local and convenient, especially as the laptop was needed immediately.

Just a thought.

anchor 14:33 21 Mar 03

Personally, I would go for the well known international brands. Mine is a Toshiba, and their web site is excellent for updates and the like.

The offer mentioned by Smiffy 99 sounds too good to miss.

pj123 22:49 21 Mar 03

Ring Affordable Price Computers on Norwich 01603 867521. They have some laptops at good prices. they have a website but do not list laptops on it. the site is click here

Belatucadrus 23:54 21 Mar 03

Staples are doing some good packages on laptops at the moment, but whatever you get don't forget the security products. Laptops go walkabout with depressing ease.

Zuse 00:24 22 Mar 03

have a look at this Compaq Evo N1015V - AMD Athlon 1700+ - RAM 128MB - HD 20GB - DVD - FDD - LAN - Modem - Windows XP Home - 14" TFT - March hp Offer £499.99 exc.VAT £587.49 inc.VAT from click here Compaq Pn 470051-944

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…