Laptop repeated HDD read error

Danoh 09:16 27 Mar 06

Hope someone can suggest a work around;

6-mth old Sony Vaio (VGN-FS315s) laptop which has behaved impeccably, started to come up with "Operating System not found" error message on boot-up, last week.

On powering off and on again, and it managed to get as far as loading Windows, check disk would start but seconds later it would crash and reboot.
On one try, ChkDsk ran successfully and recovered lost file clusters and Windows started successfully.
A serious error report was sent to MS which came back with a "Hard Disk Drive Error Detected" analysis.
I then ran ChkDsk on both partitions on the same HDD (fixing, marking bad sectors ticked), which were fine.

But it failed with "Operating System not found" on boot-up again.

Booting from an inserted recovery DVD initially did not "see" the DVD, even though the BIOS boot sequence is correct.
But I did managed to recover from DVD.
Installed other MS Office programs plus download critical updates (via WiFi connection) and it worked fine for a day or so.

However it has just repeated the "Operating System not found" on booting up.

Is it loose connections (as the inserted DVD was not seen on a couple of occasions?) or is it just a faulty HDD?

terryf 13:59 27 Mar 06

Under warranty? try Sony website support

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:16 27 Mar 06

Operating System not found = problem with hard drive

if only 6 months old get it repaired under warrenty

Danoh 15:16 27 Mar 06

.. and they concur; even when I try Safe Mode it would get 1/2 page of loading devices before crashing.
Trouble is, it will take 2-3 wks from pick-up tomorrow! :-(

Danoh 18:59 03 Apr 06

returned within 1 wk; called Mon afternoon, picked up Tue morning, returned Mon morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant