Laptop repair... Easy?

Simsy 20:24 08 Apr 09

Folks,

I've got a Toshiba laptop, which is 13 months old and so just out of warranty...

The DVD drive is broken. It repeatedly opens by itself, sometimes during boot up, and shutting it is a game of patience... usually 3 times will see it remain shut! When it is running with a disc, I SAID WHEN IT IS RUNNING, ... (Sorry, I had to shout to be heard above the noise of it running with a disc in.) Well you get the idea!...

Anyway, I've yet to contact anyone about getting it repaired, but on the expectation that it's likely to be expensive, I thought I'd give it a go myself.

I am extremely proficient and experienced with most things involving tools, and have built/rebuilt many PCs, but never a laptop!

Anyone got any experience, or ideas of how difficult it is?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

Technotiger 20:27 08 Apr 09

No experience of it myself, but maybe this will help ... click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:28 08 Apr 09

Laptop dvd drives should be easy to change.

have a look on the underside for a screw holding the drive in place - remove screw and drives usually slide out.

woodchip 20:33 08 Apr 09

If it works then the DVD does not need changing. It will be a Registry Problem. If this as started of late can you try a restore to before the Problem

woodchip 20:34 08 Apr 09

Also change BIOS boot settings so it does not look for DVD or CD in the drive

Technotiger 20:34 08 Apr 09

Or perhaps this guide, I am guessing most laptops in the Toshiba range are similar ... click here

woodchip 20:35 08 Apr 09

Noise can just be that its a fast drive or out of balance CD

Simsy 20:43 08 Apr 09

via one of your links I found this...
click here

Which refers to the model I have, so it looks as though it's quite easy, from a mechanical perspective!

Woodchip... It's a mechanical problem, not a registry problem. It does it when running a bootable CD, such as a recovery disc, or a Live linux disc.

So I'm confident about doing it.. all I have to do now is get a new one...

and...

It's not obvious from the instructions... How do I connect power/data to the drive? I guess it's something fixed, like in a caddy... anyone know?

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 20:50 08 Apr 09

I'm being paged!!

Regards,

Simsy

woodchip 21:08 08 Apr 09

Some can be taken out from outside, but most you have to dismantle the Laptop. Rather you than me. Although I have done it, parts are easy broken and there are that many screw's and sizes of screws. make a note of where they come from and the size etc To take apart it may have a plate just below the Screen that slides to the left to let you get at keyboard screws and screen, screen hinge caps pry off

Simsy 20:47 09 Apr 09

that it was REMARKABLY easy to get the drive out... just 2 small screws. One to release the cover for the RAM, (which was needed to access the back of the drive), and just a single small screw holding the unit in place.

Now all I need to do is get a replacement unit!

I'll report back in the fullness of time!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…