Laptop reads music cd's but not cd-roms, ideas?

Faser 11:57 31 May 04

I have bought my mates 18 month old "low mileage" Time laptop. (Win XP)

Sods law, its gone wrong! I tried to to use the Revert to original condition Time floppy and XP disc and got a bad command error message.

This seems to caused by the DVD CD-RW drive only being able to read music Cd's properly. Load a CD-ROM and it makes all sorts of noises but doesn't run. Its a type I have not seen before the disc goes in a slot in the side of the laptop and then the drive pulls it in.

This also prevents me from loading anti-Virus, firewall and Win Security update CD so am reluctant to connect to Internet for driver updates.

All the CD-Roms I have tried run OK in my other PC.

Stuartli 14:10 31 May 04

It's a strange one as CD/DVD-ROM or rewriter drives usually have two lasers, one for each medium, yet yours still reads audio CDs.

First try Removing the drive from Device Manager and then rebooting - Windows will install New Hardware and also the basic CDROM driver that is required.

If this doesn't work try temprarily disabling DMA for the CD version; another way would be the trick of booting up with the CD-ROM already in the drive.

Have you also tried My Computer>Explore and then right-clicking on the drive's icon to bring up the Windows What to Do next panel?

You could also try selecting Properties via the same route and checking the AutoPlay tab.

Faser 15:21 31 May 04

Thanks Stuartli, Have tried what you suggested, no change.

It gets odder I can play music Cd's as I said before and Film DVDs!

I am downloading via an old dial up account AVG free Anti-virus software just to make sure this isn't some nasty lurking somewhere.

VoG II 15:24 31 May 04

click here - worth trying?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…