Laptop - re-install or software out on www?

Lord Isleworth 12:02 07 Jul 04

I have an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 410 cdt with windows 95 running. I want to sell it and it has mainly been used for the office applications not internet. My question - Is there software that wipes the memory clear so it is ready for another user and I won't have to wipe it and re-install win 95 (I don't have a re-install disc etc and have never done it before)
Any help much appreciated.

Cuddles 12:04 07 Jul 04

Format the drive, this will wipe it and it will then be ready to have os reinstalled from dos prompt.

Lord Isleworth 12:07 07 Jul 04

Ok, should have said I don't tend to get involved with computers if i can herlp it so if you can post instructions or links to how to do this easily I would be v grateful :)

Smegs 12:07 07 Jul 04

Cuddles, Lord Isleworth hasn't got a OS disk.

Lord Isleworth, I don't think there is a way of doing this as you haven't got a OS disk. If you had, you could do what Cuddles says.

Smegs 12:13 07 Jul 04

All you do is Start the pc in to dos, at th dos prompt, type format c: /s . Should look like this C:\FORMAT C: /S . This will format the hard drive. But if you haven't got a OS disk what are you going to put on the hard drive. When you have formatted the H/drive all that will be on there will be DOS. Also, you will need all the drivers, for you're hardware.

Smegs 12:24 07 Jul 04

You can find the drivers here. click here

AndySD 12:57 07 Jul 04

I think you are looking for something like click here Eraser

Gingermum 13:05 07 Jul 04

You need to be aware that formatting a hard disk does not necessarily remove all data, as many folks, banks and criminals have already found out. You need to use a program like Eraser.
You need to install an operating system if you wish to sell it. However, I doubt you'd get very much for an old laptop running 95 anyway. The specs are probably too low to run a higher operating system successfully. And it certainly wouldn't be worth buying a new OS. It might be better to donate it to charity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…