Laptop rarely needs to access the Net

wee eddie 17:40 30 Nov 05

In fact it hasn't been logged on since February last.

I am on bt Broadband with a Voyager 205 Router connected through the USB2 circuit. The PC runs Windows XP SP2, with Adaware and M$ Anti-spy.I am also running Norton Internet Security 2006.

I have the Ethernet connection free on the Router, as well as USB2 and Ethernet on the PC and Laptop.

The security on the laptop hasn't been updated since it was last on line, nor has Windows.

My question:

How can the Laptop hide behind the PC's Security Screen whilst I update Windows on the net?

keewaa 17:47 30 Nov 05

If the ethernet port is harware firewalled it would be OK .. check the manual to see if this is true.

woodchip 17:48 30 Nov 05

Check first to see if your router as a Firewall if it has turn it on at best settings. You should also Have fully updated Anti-Virus to go on the Net. If not BEWARE

palinka 18:06 30 Nov 05

YOu are probably in a catch-22 situation - your AV is out of date; you need to go online to update it; but to do that safely you need an up to date AV ! Make the AV update your 1st action and expect to be infected while doing that. So 2nd action should be to scan for viruses/worms/spyware.
Only after you've doen all that (and switched Sys Restore off and on again) should you do anything else on-line.

palinka 18:07 30 Nov 05

I use my laptop very little, but i update the Av on it at least once a week - usually more often.

palinka 18:07 30 Nov 05

YOu are probably in a catch-22 situation - your AV is out of date; you need to go online to update it; but to do that safely you need an up to date AV ! Make the AV update your 1st action and expect to be infected while doing that. So 2nd action should be to scan for viruses/worms/spyware.
Only after you've doen all that (and switched Sys Restore off and on again) should you do anything else on-line.

Pidder 18:49 30 Nov 05

Do you really expect to be infected so quickly? If this is the situation everyone will catch the plague even if they habitually update their AV every time immediately on connecting to the Web.

De Marcus™ 18:57 30 Nov 05

If the firewall is turned on the risk of infection by clicking on your windows update shortcut is zero. You can also update your av whilst downloading updates (6 n 2*3's). Start surfing unprotected on dodgy sites is a different matter all together, but I think your unlikely to do that palinka ;-)

wee eddie 22:08 30 Nov 05

what is the best way to connect?

1. Directly to the Router via the Ethernet connection or USB.

2. Network to the PC and connect through that route.

As the Router has a built-in (Hardware) Firewall that should protect me from most of the problems.

As I do not expect to do anything other than Update Windows and then log off. No other sites, no mail, no nothing else.

Which is the best route for 2 XP machines.?

woodchip 22:11 30 Nov 05

through router

wee eddie 09:08 01 Dec 05

Is that right?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…