Laptop randomly reboots on startup

Jake_027 19:27 24 Dec 09

I've had this problem a couple of weeks now. I have an Acer Aspire laptop with Vista SP2 installed. When I switch it on (battery in or out), it boots up, but sometimes it will send itself back to BIOS when on the screen with the green scroll bar along. It will do this sometimes once, sometimes twice, maybe 3 times, or not at all. The screen comes up that says windows has had a problem booting and offers the usual safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good configuration, start normally. Last known good configuration doesn't make any difference, but if I select start normally it will work. Once windows has booted properly it works fine, there is no mention of any problems, and it will run for hours without problem. It is only before windows reaches the logon screen that it does this. I intend to do a repair but my disc is at university and I am at home in the meantime, so is there anything I can try in the meantime to rule other problems out?

Many thanks

Jake

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:32 24 Dec 09

Sounds like you need to do the "start up repair"

click here
Not sure if the F8 options will work unless the op system is pre installed

woodchip 20:19 24 Dec 09

Before you do the Above Whats it like if you try starting in Safe Mode as Windows does not load as many drivers. It may be a Driver Problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…