Laptop Ram uprade Really worth it

Mark McC 01:45 04 Jan 07

hello, i have a friend who is wanting to upgrade the ram in his laptop the current spec is 8 MEG Graphics, 20GB HDD 5200RPM , and 700MHZ pentium 2 ot 3 not to sure but anyway i said theirt no point the laptop is old and upgrading the ram wond make a huge dent in performance but my other friend said different so what do you think get a new laptop or go ahead with the upgrade

Mark

AndySD 02:38 04 Jan 07

Mark

It depends on the ammount RAM already in the laptop also the operating system the cost of updating the software they already use and most importantly what they use the laptop for.

I will assume its windows 98 if so then the max they can simply use ia 512mb (there are ways arround this) and if they are using 128mb and upgrade to 256 or above they will notice a difference. But it may be hard to find the correct RAM and it may cost a lot, still cheaper than a new laptop if they are happy with what it does now.

Stephen91 02:43 04 Jan 07

thank you for your support. mark got some of my specifications wrong. my laptop is actually windows xp. i think upgrading ram will improve the performance of my laptop and so does my friend james.

Stephen McGachy

Taff™ 03:53 04 Jan 07

What RAM is installed currently? Run Belarc Advisor click here and check there is a spare slot. You`ve probably got 256 Mb and doubling it will have a noticeable affect. If you can slot in a 512 Mb stick - even better!

Stephen91 03:59 04 Jan 07

I have got two slots with one having 128 Mb and the other being free. I was planning on buying a 512 Mb but I might just go with a 256 Mb.

AndySD 03:59 04 Jan 07

Stephen91

XP will benifit from having 512mb or more of RAM with all laptops its personal choice but if it does what you want and you just want a small boost add the RAM, its what I did as I dont want my laptop to replace my working (gaming) spec desktop.

wee eddie 08:07 04 Jan 07

in a Laptop.

The battery lasts longer.

Probably due to lower use of the HDD as additional temporary storage. I've no real idea why but when I added a 512MB stick to mine. It added roughly half an hour to the battery's usual running time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos